Service dogs help thousands of disabled Americans become more independent. The first service dogs guided visually impaired people, but today, the dogs assist people who have a variety of disabilit ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Ethelyne glycol is the main ingredient in anti-freeze, and is a major cause of poisoning in pets. It has a sweet aroma and flavor, making it inviting to dogs and cats that roam around in the yard, but this dangerous chemical can cause severe illness and even death. Pet anti-freeze poisoning happens when it's spilled when being added to a vehicle, when a container is left uncapped, or when anti-freeze drips from an engine onto the ground.
Anti-freeze is metabolized in the liver, and can change the blood pH to be more acidic. The symptoms of anti-freeze poisoning usually go through three stages, depending on how long it's been in your pet's system.
The best way to avoid your pet from getting anti-freeze poisoning is, of course, keeping it away from anti-freeze in the first place. This can be difficult, especially if you have a dog or cat that stays outdoors for much of the time, but there are things you can to minimize the danger.
The first few hours after your dog or cat ingests anti-freeze are critical; the longer pets go without treatment the less likely they are to survive. Watch your pet and know its normal behavior. If your dog or cat is staggering around and generally looking like it's drunk, bring it into Waldorf Emergency Care immediately. Don't delay second-guessing yourself. If your pet displays any of the above symptoms, bring it into our Emergency Hospital as soon as possible. Call ahead of time for first aid instructions we may have for you to do before putting your pet into the car. Call our office at 301-705-9700 any hour of the day or night and we'll do all we can to bring your pet back to total health.